Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Knit Sock Kit Swap -- Don't Sweat the Bag

Thank you, everyone, for your warm welcome for my new cat Tidget, and for your kind words and encouragement with my other, um, endeavour. Whoever said the internet was impersonal is wrong, wrong, wrong.

One of the rules of the Knit Sock Kit Swap is, “Don’t Sweat the Bag.” Given the horrifically high temperatures lately, that’s been practically impossible. It also seemed impossible for me to knit a simple two-round pattern, but I have preserved.

I am one of those who can’t/doesn’t/wouldn’t/shouldn’t sew, so I knew I had to knit my sock bag. My initial impulse was to grab some Kureyon and do something along the lines of a Booga Bag, but then I remembered I had some denim that needed to be knit into something.

Digging through my patterns, I found this in Vicki Square's Folk Bags:




It’s a small bag based on a Korean jumeoni, and I thought it was cute. I had to up-size it somewhat to make it suitable for a sock bag, so unfortunately it doesn’t sit quite the same, but I think the end result preserves the character of the design.


The pattern calls for a shaped rectangle sewn up the sides. Instead, I cast on both tops and did the shaping, joined in the round and knit to length, then turned it inside-out and did a three-needle bind-off.

The pattern also calls for some fairly complex embroidery, a combination of curlicue and paisley. Given my non-existent embroidery skills, I opted to go for something simpler and just freehanded in some lines and shapes.



The embellishment is done only on the sides and not the front and back. It’s a nice, simple way to gussy up an otherwise somewhat plain bag.


The handle is I-cord. Lots of I-cord.



The fabric didn’t come out quite as firm as I’d hoped, and the bag is unlined. As a result, the final product is a trifle more home-made than hand-made. I hope my swap partner will overlook that when I bribe her with some luxurious yarn.

18 people had something to say:

Anonymous said...

that is such a cool bag !! The yarn looks great, too. :)

lexa said...

That's a very nice bag! I am not gifted in the areas of sewing. I can't even sew a straight line on my machine! (Got a lead foot.) I'm sure your swap partner will love the bag and that gorgeous yarn!

sarah / knot another hat said...

Wow - beatiful bag! I love that book - did the Monk's Satchel. Congrats - your pal is very lucky!

Cathy said...

Like the bag and the sock yarn! It has been almost too hot for knitting, thank God for air conditioning and the occasional thunderstorm! I plan to try your basketcase sock pattern soon. Cathy

Ramona said...

Love the bag!

Terby said...

I like what you did with that pattern. Your version looks more functional to me. Also cool for your swap partner - it's unusual, and attractive too.

That's amazing sock yarn. Someone will be very happy.

Zee said...

It's lovely! I like yours better. And the colors are perfect!

Karen said...

Are you crazy??? That bag came out terrific!!! I'm absolutely sure the sock yarn bribe is unnecessary - but I also know your pal won't mind receiving the bribe anyway. :)

CelticCastOn said...

that bag is sooo cute! I've never come across that book before.
Angora sock yarn *drools* Ohh I don't think she'll mind that bribe at all, especially paired with a cool bag!

Laura said...

I love the bag. But that sock yarn is so deluxe, you could have sent a Ziploc. :)

aija said...

Fabulous bag! I like the freehanding, makes it really special :)

Anonymous said...

Please be my pal??!?!?!?!?

LOL - that is Beautiful!

Winnie said...

That bag looks great! Wonderful job :)

Elspeth said...

That bag looks gorgeous! I love your modifications!

Nana Sadie said...

Well...Sewing IS my Bag...and I just LOVE yours! How cool...wish I were participating in this swap, and I could be your pal! She's lucky!
(((hugs)))

Heide said...

I love that bag! Now I want to make one too.

Kathy in DC said...

I hope we can still get that book/pattern. Your bag looks great. I'd love to try making one. New to knitting, but it doesn't look "tooo" difficult. Love your blog. (I'm still wrestling with how to make "Blogger" work, eventually I'll get there.)

Anonymous said...

That bag is fabu...and the yarn? *sigh*.